Drama is the spice of life, Or so I say when I’m in *that* mood! The millennials would say that there hasn’t been a perfectly good drama show on television since the Sopranos, but today’s list has the guts to take it on (This is me attempting to be dramatic with the words). In all seriousness, these shows showcase how the drama genre has evolved over the years to birth some very epic shows. From catchphrases to ultimate scenes to award-worthy acting performances, these are the best tv dramas of all time. This in itself is a very sensitive topic of discussion because all of us have our own list of the best shows on TV right now. And I am willing to accept your suggestions and criticisms of my list. This Top Ten Tuesday post will be different-obviously I have listed more than ten, I couldn’t stop. As always, there are honorary mentions because they appeal to a different part of the audience are best according to them. Here we go: Continue reading “Top Ten Tuesday: Best Drama Shows on TV”
So, I lied. The list of short stories includes some very good ones that I couldn’t trim the list to include just 10.
- This Isn’t the Sort of Thing That Happens to Someone Like You
Jon McGregor (2012)
The best short stories should haunt you for days and weeks. The stories in McGregor’s collection have stayed with me for months on end. They are linked by a unity of place – the fenlands of Norfolk and Cambridge – and by precise, elegant prose that elevates everyday occurrences into small, perfectly rendered pieces of art. As Maggie O’Farrell put it in her Guardian review: “The stories wrap themselves around the wholly disconcerting premise that catastrophes can rear up in anyone’s life without warning.”
2. Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?
Raymond Carver (1976) Continue reading “Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Short Stories”
- Marlena by Julie Buntin
The Ultimate List of the Scariest Horror Movies You Need to Watch
The draw of the unknown, the pull of the unexpected, non-scientific draws me to horror movies. To say that I like horror movies would be an understatement. I love them. I can watch them all day long, and not be scared anymore. So much so that I have started watching foreign horror movies as well, just to find the best scares. The list includes a Korean movie I watched that I quite enjoyed, albeit with English subtitles.
Whatever I say in a few words will fall short. This coming from a mere mortal (pun intended), there is one thing you can bank upon is my suggestion of the horror genre. Just a quick disclaimer: These movies are in my list of top ten because they are very scary and/or quite disturbing. If you don’t do well with the heaviest scares, avoid watching these. But, if the grisly the better, start watching them now.
I’ll probably do a list of light horror movies if it is even called that. For the vast majority of people who delight in viewing a film with some suspense but not a lot.
- A Tale of Two Sisters (Korean)
March madness! Time for the top ten comedy shows of all time. Light, funny and honest, some of these shows have helped cheer my mood on many an occasion. I am a big fan of comedy shows that can find the humor in daily situations and seem kind of practical still. I’ll admit I’ve seen ones that go beyond the scope of possibility and still adored them! 3rd Rock from the Sun was one such show that was heartfelt and light. It is not in the list but in my introduction. Some more shows that will appeal to only a certain kind of audience are Two and a Half Men, Awkward, About a Boy, Broad City, Key and Peele, and Impractical Jokers. Be sure to check them out if you like their descriptions.
As for the list, below are the Top Ten Comedy Shows for everyone.
The Office– The US version was the one I loved. It follows the lives of around 9 people who work in an office and how the situations make for a very funny, relatable series. It stars Steve Carell as the Boss, who is bigger than life, but humane nonetheless.
Seinfeld– Jerry Seinfeld is a comedian who lives in New York and has friends-George, Elaine and Kramer. It has short clips of his stand-up acts and the rest is how his life goes on in the 1980s sort of world. It tickles your funny bones in a true sense!
Friends– Ah, Friends. What can I say about this show that hasn’t been said so many times before? It is about 6 friends who live in New York. They are different on all accounts and yet find comfort with each other. It is very modern and with an effortless appeal. Continue reading “Top Ten Tuesday: Best Comedy Shows”
When I told my friend that I was planning a Romantic movies post for the Top Ten Tuesday, she sat up, gave me her most shocked look and broke into the biggest toothed smile ever! She also said that she would be eager to know my favorite romantic movies of all time since my Top 10 Horror shows recommendation were the best she ever saw. And then we sat discussing for the better part of an hour which movies should make my list of the Top Ten.
I will admit, it was hard. After some discussion, I was almost inclined to make it a Top Thirteen post, we had so many good movies. And keeping in mind that it was February and it is wise to indulge in some mushy, good-for-the-heart content, romantic movies seemed to be a good topic. If you have a valentine or not, these movies are sure to make you feel giddy and full of love. Picture-perfect moments are sure to make you hopeful and full of life. That is why every once in a while I end up watching a romantic movie or even a rom-com because they are usually a light watch.
The movies below will be ideal for every kind of viewer. From classic romantic films to modern love stories, I’ve included them all! And because these are my favorite movies, I can guarantee that they will not disappoint on any level. Without any more dilly-dallying, the following are my picks for the best romantic movies:
- Love Actually
Ever since we were kids, our parents encourage us to have some resolutions that we can follow throughout the year. It starts simple – like resolving to wake up early. Or taking up an activity that will help us grow into well-rounded individuals. As we grow up, though, these resolutions start to seem insignificant. I, for one, know that I have not been following through with my resolutions 😉
Cheeky, isn’t it? Which is why I almost stopped having New Year’s Resolutions. I also know that a lot of people struggle with such promises that we make to ourselves on January, the First. But, over the years, I’ve realized that there are some simple ways to keep up the resolution day after day. This is a very weird topic for my Top Ten Tuesday, but a really practical one for everyone because these tips and a little bit of willpower are all we need to have a good first start and a regular stint in the months to come. Here are my 10 tips for making new year’s resolutions stick:
- Start Small, Set Realistic Resolutions: Choose a goal which is practical for you and you can opt to build on it throughout the year. One of the most common goals is to get healthy which can be broken down into eating healthy, exercising and feeling good. It is crucial to gradually get into the workout regimen by starting small on the very first day and then increasing the intensity of the exercise schedule. Gradually letting your body get used to the changes is key to success. Small steps and achievable goals make us a lot more agreeable to the goals that we set for ourselves.
- Pen Down Your Resolutions: It can be statistically proven that the people who write their resolutions on paper more likely succeed in achieving them. It adds a sense of importance to our goals and makes us accountable to a list of things we wrote down.
- Maintain a Diary and Analyse the Progress: It is a good practice to write down your progress in a notebook that serves the sole purpose of cataloging your progress at the promise. Create a plan of action that is simple enough to follow and write that down. This way you can refer it at any given time and reboot your action plan accordingly.
- Use Apps: In this fast paced time, a lot of people might struggle with the very idea of keeping a diary. It would be simpler to use apps on our phones or laptops to guide us through. Simple note taking apps like Evernote are excellent for writing down anything.You can also set reminders and can separate it into different notebooks according to your needs. It is available for free on the Android Play Store and iTunes.
- Willpower Your Way Through: It is extremely important to come to the realization that each resolution will make us happier as we aim to fulfill it. Knowing it in your heart and pushing yourself just a little bit more (than last year) will be the one thing that will bring it home for your success in the new year.
- Keep a Prize System: Celebrate small successes in an appropriate manner. Rewards work like positive reinforcement for the mind and body. It will be another thing to look forward to when you have worked really hard to work towards something. This is something I’ve promised myself too. I will get to buy something from my bucket list every time I complete one of the steps from my resolution diary! 🙂
- Do it With a Friend: This is one piece of advice I share with everyone when it comes to tips for keeping new year’s resolutions. Specially when you have goals like lose weight, read 10 books or declutter your life. If you have another friend dong it with you. you’ll be accountable to them as well. The probability of failure gets reduced and you both can encourage each other and be inspired simultaneously.
- Think of the Goal: Dream of the end where you have successfully completed this resolution. The finish line is the bigger picture and that should drive all your decisions. Always go back to your new year goal setting worksheet and imagine the moment when you can proudly say, ‘Yes, I dit it’, ‘I lost 40 pounds’, ‘I read 20 books’, etc. Because that feeling is enough to charge you up.
- Repetiton and Reminders: We forget what we set out to achieve in a humdrum life. The diary may be in the corner of a drawer, or you may lose the will to do it. But you can set out reminders, and you can start any day. Remember, the new year is just another day where you promised yourself. Never think you’ll have Tomorrow to start. Reminders on the fridge door, or a simple ding from the app on your phone should get you to jumpstart the routine you envisioned for yourself.
- Avoid the Stress: Sometimes the frustration of not achieving the goals can eat at you. There will be some days when you are too tired, ill or plain lazy. Do a small portion of the task if you feel like it, or have an off day. One is allowed! Dance to some music, lift your spirits because you got one life to live, and being happy will keep you healthy so you can start back up the next day.
I was really in my Motivation mode today! But, I hope these tips help you out a little bit. It is the Third week of January and the perfect time to post these tips because some of us have already started slacking (including me). And it is not too late to start up again. This post was as much for me, as it was for you. The best of us need a little push every now and then.
What were some of your New Year’s Resolutions? And do you have your own ways to sticking to them? Share with me, so I can get off my lazy bum and exercise!